Recently I've been revisiting my blogging habits, one of the reasons I don't post often is because, with my old workflow, the friction between thinking a blog entry and posting it was too high.
After spending an evening searching I found a workflow that suits my needs, the setup is very easy and if you follow along you will be up and running in no time.
My old workflow
My old workflow consisted in:
- Write the post in iA Writer
- Convert from markdown to html with Marked
- Post from WordPress web interface
The annoying steps where step 2 and 3, every time I had to make a minor edit to a post I had to convert it again.
My new workflow
My new workflow is:
- Write the post in MarsEdit
- There's no step 2 🙂
To make this working some steps are needed:
- In MarsEdit preferences, choose 'HTML text' as default editing mode
- To have a nice preview in MarsEdit, select 'Markdown' as the preview text filter under the blog's settings
- Install the Markdown on Save Improved
plugin on your WordPress install and activate it. Leave the options unchanged.
Now every time you will click 'Send to Blog' the plugin will convert your Markdown to HTML and then publish the post.